Sunday, June 29, 2008

Long Weekends...... & Reminiscence

I needed to clear my leave by end Jun, not that there're many days as I'm only into my 3rd month. Hubby was sweet enough to apply leave as well on last mon & tue (16th & 17th) & we had a good prolonged weekend.

Sat morning hubby had a work discussion with his boss & the creative agency at Spore Post Centre's Coffee Bean. So I went to McDonald's in the same premise with my lappy to wait for hubby... free flow tea up to 11am is a big attraction :P

Just when I, in shorts & with a big green bag, was dragging my slippers & carrying my tray of tea & hashbrowns to the corner seat I eyed on, I took a quick glance at the person sitting at the other end of the corner. A chap & he's shooting a swift stare at me too. We both then took another look at the same time before realising that we actually knew each other. So there we were, seated at 2 ends with another 4-seater table in the middle, chatting casually. CW was previously from the SQ crew for a few years, then went over to BA & he's still there. He used to be a good-looking dude who worked out diligently, which was why I was a lil taken aback to see him with bit of receding hairline & a slightly flabby bod instead.

After some small talks, I moved to the front where there's a powerpoint for my notebook. He left shortly after too.

And here it is, story-telling time again.....
I took notice of CW when in my first year college because of his appearance & style - he's 1 of those who wore black boots to school & could carry it well. We're from different class and he didn't even know me. So I only admired him from a distance.

Second year, we happened to be in the same class & became friends. By the way, in his first year (when he's in another class) he went with a girl, W, for a few months but she later became a lesbian. I knew W too & thus gave us more topics to talk about. I used to make fun of him about what he had done to W who eventually preferred to be a man & have girlfriends instead.

The way the story went is what every girl hopes it should be - befriending someone you admire for a long time. However the more I knew him, the more I confirmed that nothing would come out of our friendship. And I am pretty sure till now he didn't know that I once had a 'little' crush on him :)

After graduation, we still kept in touch. Long phone chats & went for movies/drinks once in a while. I was the only one from the class he kept in touch. But by then, I'd already got over any special feeling towards him. I'd always thought that we're of different categories - he's always the avant-garde... stylish & daring. He's always ahead of fashion. Me? A complete plain jane.

Over the years, we went out lesser & lesser especially when he started flying.

But I will always remember one nice thing he'd done as a supportive friend & that's during 'The Bar' days. At the Opening, many friends came down to support & CW was one of them amidst his busy flying schedule. He surprised me by showing up with a group of about 8 & settling a spending of nearly S$500 for the night's drinks. I know how it feels that's why I tried to give support when MG opened his.. but of course I couldn't spend as much as what CW did!

About 2 years ago we lost contact till I chanced upon him at McDonald's. What's interesting is, I no longer feel he's any different from me... Likewise, he's in a pair of bermudas, polo tee & a big bag.... as ordinary as I am.

Is it because of his appearance? Maybe. Or age? Maybe too. Guys, after a certain age, can't do bold dressing. What's bold? Let's take CW for eg., he had the guts to wear a jumpers & still looked great (you don't see many guys out there wearing jumpers in the past & present, ya?). In this case, I think ladies are in a more favourable situation as long as her figure doesn't go too out of shape. Cosmetics, hairdo, variety of clothes & accessories, if done tastefully, can make a woman at any age.


Ok I'm getting too far. Back to our long weekend. Hubby finished with his boss before 11am & we went to Kaki Bukit to settle some errands for the household. Also shopped in Orchard & brought home 4 pairs of pants! All mine! Hee. Got some other items for our new interest too. That's the advantage of starting the day early (& waking up is the most difficult part). Had Father's Day dinner at Ka Soh, Alumni Medical Centre. After dinner, hubby had to get some work done & we pulled my BIL, Ben, along instead of sending him back first :P. After that, we went supper together & counselled the depressed Ben (as he just made a shocking discovery... afterall it's been nearly 3 years but that's part & parcel of growing up).

Sunday was mostly spent at home, busied ourselves with the new hobby.

Monday morning, we're back at Raffles Place... nope! not for work, but for my facial appointment. Then some finger food for lunch before going for a matinée movie - Sex And The City. Yep, we re-watched it using the free movie tix! :)

Tues was a laidback day for us in the neighbourhood... also resting & DVDs. Did I say we're into some TVB series lately?

This weekend will be another extended one, but only tomorrow. Clearing my last day of leave for this FY & hubby took too to spend some time with me. We should be receiving a long-awaited item tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

No comments: