Wednesday, June 04, 2008

My New Gadget

During the long weekend (Vesak Day), we'd a mission... to source for the best deal of a notebook, that is.

The thought was harboured after hubby took up the new role (in his job). While he's getting busier with meetings & events, my new job doesn't require me to stay late. Except for the first 2 weeks of adapting & managing new tasks, I can usually leave on the dot, ie. 5.30pm. Instead of wasting my time hanging around & shopping every evening, I think I would be happier to be connected to the e-world. Especially now that I can't log on in office, I mean for personal surfing. Hubby can also concentrate in his work without having to worry about me. He doesn't stay too late.. the most an hour more for now.. so it doesn't make sense for me to go home first. Anyway we need to catch dinner before heading home.

So hubby fully supports the idea and we went looking for a good buy.

Initially it's MacBook we had eyed on. Mac Air is so cool but it's too ex.

By renewing our Singnet contract, we would be getting a MacBook at about $1,100 & tripling the speed that our current contract provides. It's definitely an attractive offer & I didn't mind at all playing with a Mac.

But the last day of offer was actually 2 days later whereas we could only renew our contract exactly a month later :(

So that Sat, we went around town, searching for the right one (in terms of price & weight). We realised that weight was an important factor as I would be carrying it around.. that's why we even entertained the thought of getting a Mac Air.

After a day of window shopping & research, just when we were about to give up hope in finding a compact notebook with our budget, we're being introduced to HP Mini. It wasn't available in most stores (except Courts which somehow has the privilege to bring in limited sets & that's where we first got to know it)... no display set to show but orders already flooding in. The first batch of stock would arrive mid June the earliest, even in July for some retailers.

But we managed to "grab" the last set from Courts @ S$1,199 (comes with Windows Vista Business):D Apparently it was so popular that within a day, the few sets they put up for sale were gone within a day in their stores nationwide. If they hadn't kept it for us (we called the customer service to enquire & they were helpful!), it'd have been gone too.


My gorgeous HP Mini 2133

So now I'm having my 1.2kg lappy with me everyday & log on wherever I am after work.. like now, I'm waiting for hubby just opposite my office.. @ Subway, Far East Square & writing..... :)

No comments: