Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Some thoughts

Caught up with a friend over lunch last Fri. A very nice lady in her mid 40s but unlucky in love. The husband has a mistress since 5 years ago & has already shifted out (to stay with the mistress) for 2 years. She didn't divorce the husband & has still been supportive of his career & activities. To their mutual friends, they're still a loving couple. She hopes that one day, he'd be moved by her love & come back. I was like "huh?".. how can this be possible? I mean, how can this woman be so magnanimous?? Any, or most, woman would have left saved the last bit of pride that's leftby leaving the heartless man.

In case you're thinking she's a needy housewife who heavily relies on her hubby financially... not at all. She's from a very wealthy family & has a good career herself. She has a group of close friends whom she hangs out with & she's almost a god daughter to the late President Dr Wee Kim Wee.

I'm the only outlet for her to pour her woes with no holding back, as she said it. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I don't know her husband & friends bah.

We talked about Chinese New Year and understandably, she's not looking forward to it.

In fact, we're so surrounded by couples with bad marriage & I'm pretty sure they are not looking forward to CNY too.

The number is a lil too overwhelming, particularly this year. Just how many am I talking about? I use both hands to count.

Most of them are in separation, including our neighbour whom we didn't expect as we heard no fights & always saw them together & looked loving. Another one, my ex-colleague, who's known to be a wife-doting husband. Just before Christmas, he called me at night wanting to meet. But I was already on my way home with hubby. I didn't sense anything amiss. Then about 2 weeks later, he rang me up at 5am+. Yep 5am+! He's so drunk that he's slurring... asked what I was doing then (!??) & wanted to meet me for another round of drinks. I asked him to go home instead. When I woke up, I called his buddy who didn't know his problems. Sensing he's issues related to his marriage, it'd be more appropriate for his buddy to help & he agreed to keep me in the loop. And I was right, his wife left him. I asked (myself) lotsa whys...

Others are keeping the family intact superficially for the children's sake. Which is why nowadays, when I see seemingly happy families out there, I tend to ask myself... is this merely a beautiful front? Are they actually living separate lives? Is the guy keeping a girlfriend outside? Or maybe the wife? I admit I've grayed things too much. Hubby thinks I have as well but he understands... Afterall, with so many around us heading towards this direction plus if you know what I've been through in the past, you'll understand too.

Oh well, it's CNY Eve. I shoudn't be talking about such unhappy things. You see, Vince & I are looking forward to the CNY celebrations. In comparison, those who're close to us are experiencing marriage breakdowns & we don't feel good about it.

Vince & I just feel grateful that we're able to enjoy the bliss & overflowing love for each other. What's happening just serve as a constant reminder to not take things for granted.

Let's cherish each other & be a blessing to those around. :)

No comments: