Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Something funny

Have forgotten about this lil joke just now. The doc I went to on Valentine's Day wasn't the usual one whom I consult. All other clinics that belong to the Parkway Shenton Group (I enjoy the free medical benefits from hubby's company as his wife) were already closed at that time except this particular one in Toa Payoh. And we're just in time before they closed for dinner. Then this old lady (I think in her early 70s) at the counter was asking a series of questions.. also a lil clumsy with the registration. I really admired the doc who hired her. After settling all the registration stuff, she & the other clinic assistant asked me to go into the consultation room & they themselves went in too. But there's no doc.. only those 2 clinic assistants. Just then, the old lady put on the white robe & sat down. So she's the doctor! At that point of time, I was staring blankly at her because my 1st thought was to leave & look for another clinic. I totally had no confidence in her handling my wound. However I'd no time to react. Before I knew it, she's starting to remove the dressing. What added to my fear was.. they're not prepared at all. She & her assistant took turn to go around the room in search of needed items, she even ransacked her big metal bowl for the right tool! I was so afraid that her eyesight wasn't good enough & ended up cutting my wound instead of the gauze! Also worried that at her age would she has shaky hands?? Thank God she's pretty steady.. a lil rough though. From her reaction to my constant reminders of pain (actually not that painful but I just wanted to be safe, haha), she seemed to tell me she's seen so many other patients with much worse condition & mine's nothing. Hmm. Was a big relief after she got everything done smoothly.

When she came out still wearing her robe, I was sure Vince would have the same surprise as mine. After that we talked about it & true enough, he'd also thought she's the clinic assistant and we had a good laugh. Quite funny right?

No comments: