Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Irony in Life

There's something about the ex that I found myself missing & regretting.

That is, his mum's dried bean curd skin with ginko nuts & barley dessert (腐竹白果薏米).
I'm not joking.

Missed, as I must say she made the best 腐竹白果 dessert.
Regretted, that I didn't learn from her. Knowing I loved it, she used to urge me to "apprentice" when she's preparing but I was always too lazy. So who shall I blame.

As a vast 'Tong Shui' lover, I constantly craved for this Cantonese dessert. Mum tried to satiate me but it's just not the same. No matter how mum boiled it, the soup simply wouldn't turn as milky as tau huay drink (豆浆)..... the bean curd skin only became very tiny bits. ie. after a while there'd be 2 layers - water & the settled skin bits. And believe me, it taste very differently. Same as those we ate at hawker stalls/restaurants (if any).

Last Sunday, I decided to experiment it myself... was bent on finding the secret to making "tau huay zui" out of the dried beancurd skin. However I nearly gave up when my method didn't deem successful. Thanks to hubby Puckering Smile... he suggested 1 appeared to be simple yet crucial modification to my idea and yes, we finally made it! Aren't we the best partners? Mum tried & she thought we added milk. Say félicitations to us!

This accomplishment had certainly made my day due to its underlying meaning. No longer feel I'd missed out on something after I walked out that door. Years ago.

But still, the biggest irony gotta be the sole thing I ever missed in my last relationship was a dessert.

No comments: